Hausa people have their own unique foods. Even before the coming of British and the subsequent acceptance of other foods, Hausa people can boast of their own traditional foods.
On that note, here is a list of some common traditional Hausa foods eaten in Northern Nigeria.
List of Traditional Hausa Foods
- Koko/Kamu: local pap made from a liquefaction liquid obtain from ground millet.
- Kunun tsamiya: it is made from a powdered millet mixed with tamarind
- Kunun gyada: it is made from liquefaction of Groundnut with rice added.
- Kunun dawa: it is made from guinea corn
- Kunun acca: it is made from acca
- Fura: Gruel made from millet and mixed with milk and served chilled
- Kunun Masara: it is made from maize
- Kunun aya: this is a drink made from a Tigernut, it is similar to tiger milk.
- Kunun kanwa: This is made using millet.
- Kosai: Beans cake
- Dambu: Chicons made with rice or any grain
- Dan wake: Beans dumplings served with spices and vegetables
- Fate or gwate: Porridge made with grains, beans or yam
- Alale/ Alala: Moi moi
- Tuwo: This is a popular food eaten by the Hausas in Northern Nigeria. It is a Fufu made from maize, millet, rice, and can be eaten with different soups such as boabob, okro, Karkashi soup and so on.
- Funkaso: Local snack made with wheat
- Zobo: is a natural drink which is made from hibiscus plant
- Alkaki: Local snack made from wheat eaten with honey or syrup
- Fanke: Local puff-puff made with flour.
- Awara: Tofu made from fermented soya beans flour
- Kilishi: Nigerian Beef Jerky
- Dambun nama: Meat floss
- Dubulan: Local snack made with flour and sugar
- Dashishi: Chicocins made from wheat
- Gurasa: Local bread made from flour eaten with spices, or with soup
- Miyar kuka: Soup made with Baobab
- Miyar kubewa: Okra soup
- Miyar Taushe: Soup made with spinach
- Miyar Zogale: Moringa leaves soup
- Miyar karkashi: Popular northern soup mixed with dried Karkashi leaves, and seasonings
- Masa/ Waina: Rice cake, a fermented Snack made from rice or maize and can be eaten with soup
- Sinasir: Rice pancake made the same way as waina
- Wainan Gero/ Mashe: Waina made from millet, the same procedure with waina.
- Wainan Fulawa: Snack made from flour, eggs, and vegetables
- Didikwalo: Sweet potato prepared in a local way
Editorial Staff is a team of Editors and Authors Trusted by over 1.3 million readers worldwide.