Table of Contents
According to Guinness World Records for a twin to hold the record of the oldest twin, they must fulfill the following:
- This record is the oldest age of living male twins
- This record is to be attempted by two male individuals.
- This record is measured in years and days
- For the purpose of this record, twins are defined as two male siblings who were born as a result of one pregnancy and can either be identical or fraternal.
Twins are two offspring produced by the same pregnancy. Twins can be either monozygotic (‘identical’), meaning that they develop from one zygote, which splits and forms two embryos, or dizygotic (‘non-identical’ or ‘fraternal’), meaning that each twin develops from a separate egg and each egg is fertilized by its own sperm cell.
The human twin birth rate in the United States rose 76% from 1980 through 2009, from 9.4 to 16.7 twin sets (18.8 to 33.3 twins) per 1,000 births. The Yoruba people have the highest rate of twinning in the world, at 45–50 twin sets (90–100 twins) per 1,000 live births, possibly because of high consumption of a specific type of tuber crop containing a natural phytoestrogen which may stimulate the ovaries to release an egg from each side.
In Central Africa, there are 18–30 twin sets (or 36–60 twins) per 1,000 live births. In Latin America, South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal), and Southeast Asia, the lowest rates are found; only 6 to 9 twin sets per 1,000 live births. North America and Europe have intermediate rates of 9 to 16 twin sets per 1,000 live births.
Enough of the statistics, Meet Hassan and Hussaini whom if the record were to be put straight, might be the oldest living male twins in Northern Nigeria. They are both 80 years old now, but they can vividly remember their birth date.
Hassan and Hussaini are indigenes of Sokoto North Local government of Sokoto State. In fact, they are still living in their place of birth which is Sultan Bello Road, Kanwuri ‘yarkatanga area of Sarkin Musulmi B ward.
There are some things that are unique about this twin:
- They are still living in their place of birth
- They still eat together till now, expect one is sick
- They both have the same favourite foods which are tuwo shinkafa with miyar kuka and tuwo dawa with miyar guro
- They have been dressing alike since the day they were born
Facts about the two of them
Guess what you can easily identify who is who, let give you two pointers:
- Hassan is funnier
- Hussaini is one inch taller than Hassan
- They both have one wife each.
A bit trickish but you can guess it right!
Another important fact given to us by my source Mr Kamilu Sidi Bello who is a grandchild show clearly that that are happy grand fathers.
Hassan is married to Mariya and together they have seven children; they are
He also have Ten grandchildren and still counting
Hussaini is married to Lauratu and together, they have five children; they are
He also have six grand children and still counting
Could this be a record hold of the oldest living male twins in Northern Nigeria?