Hausa traditional system has been organized and efficient even before the advent of colonialism and indirect rule in Northern Nigeria. Just like, foods and naming systems, Hausa Land have their unique traditional system of Governance. The Emirates Councils in most kingdoms are well-staffed complete with institutions supervised by the Emir or someone else.
Each Hausa Land Kingdom has its Police Force (Yan Doka, The Prisons (Gidan Yari), an intelligence-gathering network (Dubagari), Army, and many other sections that can be likened to today’s ministries and departments. For that reason, here is a list of Hausa Traditional Titles and Their Meaning.
List of Traditional Titles In Hausa Land
- Sarki – Emir (President)
- Waziri – Vice President/ Prime Minister
- Sarkin Fada – Chief of Staff
- Garkuwa – Chief of Army Staff
- Sarkin Alkali- Chief judge
- Wali – Minister of Justice/ Attorney General
- Sarkin Ruwa – Minister of Water Resources
- Sarkin Noma- Minister of Agriculture
- Ma’aji – Accountant General
- Mutawalli- Minister of Finance
- Sarkin Kira – Minister of Power and steel.
- Sarkin Dogarai – Chief of Defence staff
- Duba Gari – DSS (Leken Asirin cikin gida)
- Shugaban Yan Doka- Inspector General of Police
- Sarkin Tsafta- Minister of Health
- Hakimi – Governor
- Mai gari – Chairman
- Mai unguwa – Councilor
- Sarkin Fawa- Head of Butchers
- Majalisar Sarakuna/ Majalisar Sarki – Senate or House of Representatives.
- Galadima – Interior Minister
- Sarkin Aiyuka – Minister of Works.
- Sarkin Noma – Minister of Agriculture.
- Jakadiya – Minister of Women affairs.
- Sarkin Yaki- Army Commander
- Sarkin Malamai/ Sa’i- Minister for Religious affairs/ Adviser on Religious Matters
- Sallama – Aide de Camp (ADC)
- Magatakarda – Secretary of the Federation (SGF ) or Private Secretary
- Sarkin Kofa – Protocol
- Sarkin Dawaki – Minister of Culture
- Madawaki-The Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces
- Sarkin Samari- Minister of Youth Affairs
- Sarkin Hanya- Minister of Transport
- Shamaki- Cheif Protocol Officer
- Sankira- Special Adviser on Media and Publicity
Editorial Staff is a team of Editors and Authors Trusted by over 1.3 million readers worldwide.