What is a Blog?
A Blog is any website where posts are published by authors and then comments are received from readers with respect to those posts. In a nutshell, it is a website that focuses mainly on written content, also known as blog posts. Think of it as a social media platform, you post and other people comment on your post. Instead, in a blog, you are usually passing a valuable information, not just “Hello Followers” kind of posts. A blog is a type of website.
Starting and running a blog hasn’t been easier than it ever was. This is a perfect way for one to earn at the comfort of his sitting room without necessarily going to work for anyone. The fun part is that you don’t have to understand web design or pay anyone to design a website for you. You can do this with clicks and drag on your computer.
Why You Should Start a Blog?
Most people blog as a side job considering the dynamics of global economy, but I have met a lot of individuals who have been making honest living from just blogging and nothing else.
- There is possible Financial Gain
- Blogging is a Confidence Builder. Blogging is the shy person’s stage.
- You could use your blog to market other businesses.
- It’s a form of an online diary – So to speak.
- Blogging is great writing experience.
- Exposes you to so many things and activates your self-growth mechanism.
- It allows you to develop technological skills.
What you need to know before starting a blog
To get the most out of blogging here are some things you should keep on your forehead.
- Consistency – Once you have your blog, your blog is your new spouse. You have to give it your attention daily if you want to succeed with it.
- Dedication – You have to understand what you are blogging about and why you are blogging about it. This will keep you focused on your goal.
- Learn and know – You have to cultivate the habit of reading and understanding things that are on the same line with your niche. Sometimes you will have to read other topics that are not from your blog to spark ideas.
When you have two different idea sexing, that’s when you will have varieties of ideas as products sprawling up.
You need to spend at least 5hrs daily on your blog. This means you need constant electricity and fast internet connection.
With Google Adsense, you can make up to $2,100 (N798,000) a year if you can maintain an average of 2,000 views every day (60,000 views monthly). With 10million views yearly, you can make around 36million Naira in a year. Adsense is just one out of many ways of earning from a Blog. More one that later.
Setting up The Blog
Setting up your blog isn’t expensive. With N5000, you can start a blog and earn millions, here is how to go about it.
1. Get your niche or topic (FREE)
You need to identify what you want to blog about. It could be anything you like.
2. Think of a Domain Name FREE)
A domain Name is the text that when entered on a web browser, will load a website.
http://www.facebook.com is the Web URL
‘facebook.com‘ is the domain name
.com is the web extension
3. Register The Domain Name and Pay a Webhost (NOT FREE)
There are plenty domain name vendors out there. Most if not all of them offer web hosting services too. Here is a list of recommended webhosts.
There are alot of webhosting companies out there. They basically give you the same service. The only difference is reliability and speed.
Web Host is a company that keeps your website files online 24/7 on its own server so people can have access to your site any day anytime.
You can get both domain name and webhosting services depending on the web extension you choose.
Pro Tip: I don’t recommend you to use any free web hosting platform like WordPress.com or Blogger etc. People hardly take you serious.
Once your registration is successful, you will be sent an email containing your login details to a control panel (CPanel) by your web host. The CPanel is where you manage your website files and configurations.
4. Use a Content Management System (CMS) It is FREE
A CMS is a software application or set of related programs that are used to create and manage digital content. Don’t be confused by the technical jargons, it simply means it is a software in your CPanel used to manage your Website. It is click and install software and your website is up. It is that simple. No codes.
There are different types of CMS for websites to choose from.
- Joomla etc
For the sake of easy learning, we will take you through working with WordPress seeing that 30% of the world’s websites run on WordPress. It is popular, easy to grab, flexible and has a lot of support.
Click on ‘WordPress’ icon, Fill out the info and Click ‘Install’. Once the installation is completed, Your website is up and running LIVE.
Every website has frontend and backend.
Frontend – this is the interface users see when they visit your website
To access your Front End, Type your domain name on any browser and hit Enter
Backend – this is the interface of you website you get to work with as the admin of your site. Here you create posts, pages, upload media and manage your entire website’s elements.
To access yoru Backend. Type in your domain name on any web browser and append ‘/wp-admin’ to the end of the domain name then hit Enter. e.g.
5. Install a BLOG Theme (FREE)
Once your installation is successful, log in to the backend of your new website
Choose from the million theme available in WordPress a theme that represents what you are blogging about. Some are free and some are Premium.
Under appearance, click on ‘Themes’ and check for a suitable one, then hit ‘Install’ and ‘Activate’.
6. Install Essential BLOG Plugins(FREE)
A plugins are tiny pieces of programs that adds functionality to your WordPress site. Plugins add additional features to your site.
Recommended plugins for your new blog
- Yoast – For Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Contact Form – For Creating Forms and capturing data from users
- JetPack – For tracking your site performance
- Akismet – For keeping your site secure from spam and hackers
7. Configure Basic Blog Settings (FREE)
- Upload your logo
- Set up your tagline
- Configure your page setup
- Configure your post setup
- Your menus
8. Create Pages (FREE)
A page is basically any content on your page that doesn’t change. Pages are for static, timeless content For example.
- About us
- Contact Us
You can create a page in WordPress by just Clicking on the ‘Pages’ on the sidebar of your backend Menu and then ‘Add New’.
9. Create Posts (FREE)
Posts are for timely content. Posts are content on your page that could change. Like the one you are reading right now.
10. Create social media accounts and link to your blog for sharing blog contents with your already existing social media audience (FREE)
If you are here, I assume you know your way in and out of at least one social media platform like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram LinkedIn etc. These are platforms to network with business people and even promote your blog.