First off, marriage is a necessity and not a compulsory role to fulfil. However, for those getting married, it’s an honorable act that demands a great deal of courage and advice to scale through. Perhaps, if you have a daughter intending to get married, don’t hesitate to sit her down and offer her marriage advice to daughters who are intending to get married. This advice is important because marriage is a lifetime commitment and not a child’s play.
However, the father’s advice to daughters getting married is quite similar to the mother’s advice to daughters getting married, although they occupy two different positions in a marriage, it certainly takes two individuals who are heading in the same direction to make a marriage successful and blossoming.
15 Things You Should Tell Your Daughter Intending to Get Married
1. Genuine Love as a Crucial Advice to a Daughter Getting Married
When it comes to marriage, love is the foundation that keeps every other aspect of marriage together. That’s why one must get married to someone they truly love, not under the influence of external factors like money, family name, coercion among others.
As parents offering marriage advice to daughters ensure to tell them that marriage is all about sacrifice, oftentimes choosing one’s partner’s choice over theirs and this is only possible when there is genuine love—not determined by what one’s partner does right or wrong.
2. Let Her Know That Patience and Tolerance are Keys to a Happy Marriage
The pathway of marriage isn’t all rosy, there will always come a time of ups and downs. However, learning how to be patient with one’s partner will avert misunderstanding. Similarly, tolerating your partner’s flaws will help your marriage grow.
Perhaps, you feel your partner’s decisions aren’t right or his behaviors are inappropriate. Don’t make the mistake of trying to change him by nagging, or forcing your will on him, or depriving him of certain marital benefits. Rather, choose to advise him calmly, stating your reason and allow him to decide for himself.
3. Learn the Attitude of Understanding to Build Your Marriage
Understanding one’s partner is one of the mother’s advice to daughters getting married since mothers are capable of influencing their husband’s decisions either positively or negatively. In other words, a good wife must have an understanding attitude.
This is reflected in her level of compliance and cooperation with her husband’s decisions in terms of planning and utilizing the family budget. Also, how skillful she is at managing the available resources provided by her husband?
4. Respect is a Pivotal Advice to a Daughter Getting Married
Amongst a father’s advice to daughters getting married, respect should be given higher priority. It’s fruitless trying to contend for authority in a home with one’s husband, you only succeed at destroying your marriage. That’s why respect for husbands remains an important piece of marriage advice to daughters getting married. They must realize that submission does not show weakness rather respect—this was designed by God who initiated marriage from the beginning.
In addition, respect is revealed in your speech and actions towards your husband. Hence, you must learn the 7c’s of communication and effective listening skills.
5. Father’s Advice to Daughters Getting Married Includes Having Trust for Her Husband
The absence of trust breeds curiosity in a marriage which further breaks the love bond between couples. Hence, daughters getting married must learn to trust their partners. Instead of unnecessarily monitoring your partner, ask questions about their movement and activities you are unsure about. Furthermore, avoid keeping secrets and telling lies to your partners.
6. Faithfulness and Commitment Propels the Growth of a Marriage
It was earlier established that marriage is a lifetime commitment. Therefore, one must be wise at choosing the one you will spend the rest of your life with. In other words, you must be content with your partner in every aspect, this includes physically, financially, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and otherwise. Faithfulness and commitment are marriage advice to daughters getting married which entails sticking with their partner through the thick and thin of life without betrayal.
7. Be Willing to Grow as You Get Married
Growth is a gradual process that requires the patient to achieve. Therefore, be willing to learn from your partner and be quick to discard ideologies that may hinder your marriage progress. Most importantly, maturity insists that you embrace the roles that are meant for you as the wife and do it effectively with complaints and grumbling.
8. Inculcate the Act Of Forgiveness to Build Your Marriage
Forgiveness can’t be excluded from marriage advice to daughters getting married. This is because misunderstanding is inevitable in a relationship. However, what keeps that relationship blossoming is the ability for each partner to humble themselves and seek forgiveness when wrong or be quick to forgive the other when offended. This should be done before the day goes out for peace and love to reign—remember a prolonged misunderstanding can destroy a happy home, instead be the first to seek for settlement.
9. Become a Supportive Wife to Your Husband
Mother’s advice to daughters getting married also entails having a supportive spirit. It takes two to make a relationship work out. Therefore, as a woman, you must become your husband’s biggest fan and encourage him to become the best version of himself even when he doesn’t believe in himself.
Furthermore, It’s detrimental to your marriage to expose your husband’s flaws to others, in contrast, learn to be proud of him.
10. Advice to Daughter Getting Married Includes Prioritizing Your Sex Life
Sex in itself goes beyond physical intercourse, rather is a medium where souls are joined together as one—a point of intimacy. The value of sex in a marriage can’t be overemphasized.
Therefore, what matters most is the quality and not quantity. Most importantly, study your partner’s sex life to get it right. In addition, it’s wrong to punish your husband for offending you by denying him sex.
11. Reduce Third-Party Advice to the Minimum Level to Achieve a Happy Marriage
Excluding you and your partner, every other person is a third party. These sets of people are those who believe they can offer you marriage advice and insist you keep them updated about the happenings in your marriage. That’s inappropriate! Besides, I’m not saying that receiving advice from others is completely wrong, rather establishing the fact that whatever is discussed between you and your partner should remain between the both of you.
Also, your decisions shouldn’t be influenced by what others are saying. However, the only time a third party is needed is when there is a misunderstanding beyond your control— this must be a trustworthy person.
12. Learn to do Things Together
A home where the husband and wife are on two separate pages will soon break apart. Hence, spice your marriage up by making time for each other—a time away from work, that’s why you need to learn how to balance your work and family. In addition, create time to pray together, eat together and do household chores together. Oftentimes, most mother’s advice to daughters getting married always emphasizes praying for one’s partner and praying together as couples.
13. Never Ignore Your Partner’s Needs When Kids Arrive
Parenting is a unit under a marriage that must be carefully carried out to prevent committing parenting mistakes that should be avoided which are detrimental. Therefore, don’t choose your kid’s needs over your husband’s needs. Instead, get your partner to assist you with the kids. Don’t forget he is also their father.
Furthermore, kids become creative thinkers under the atmosphere of a loving home, this further boosts their academic performance.
14. Learn About Your Partner’s Love Language
Father’s advice to daughters getting married requires orienting them on how little act of love counts and goes a long way in securing the future of your marriage. In essence, be skilful at examining your partner’s likes and dislikes—discarding the dislikes and doing more of his likes.
This study enables you to speak your partner’s love languages and prevents you from guessing your way through marriage.
15. Divorce Should Be the Last Option on Your List to Build a Perfect Marriage
There will be a time when you feel like walking out of your marriage because it seems things aren’t going as expected. That’s why a mother’s advice to daughters getting married always encourages daughters to seek other routes of problem-solving excluding divorce.
Reason being that the effect of divorce is destructive and doesn’t portray you as a role model for your children to imitate.
Marriage advise to daughters getting married can’t be exhausted. However, what matters most is your ability to practice the advice given when you get to your husband’s house. Although, it will take some time to adapt, don’t give up, choose to keep giving in your best.
Do you have more advice to daughter getting married or have learned a thing or two from this article? If yes, join the chat by sharing in the comment section below.
What makes life complete is the relationships we make and keep, we tend to learn, make mistakes and grow through them. But truth be told, relationships are not easy, they require a lot of hard work. Be it a relationship with friends, a loved one, a family, you have to put in so much work to make it work and last. Relationships are also not smooth, it gets bumpy with time, but your ability to remind yourselves why you are together will keep you back on track. Due to the fact that constant motivation is needed in any relationship, I have put together relationship quotes to motivate your relationships, by individuals who are vaster in this area and who have walked the face of the earth more than I have.
1. Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not burn until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.Anais Nur
2. A loving relationship is one in which the loved one is free to be himself to laugh with me, but never at me; to cry with me, but never because of me; to love life, to love himself, to love being loved. Such a relationship is based upon freedom and can never grow in a jealous heart. Leo F. Buscaglia
3. A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. Walter Winchell
4. The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.Carl Jung
5. When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are. Donald Miller
6. Assumptions are the termites of relationships. Henry Winkler
7. Relationships-of all kinds-are like sand held in your hand. Held loosely, with an open hand, the sand remains where it is. The minute you close your hand and squeeze tightly to hold on, the sand trickles through your fingers. You may hold unto some of it, but most will be spilled. A relationship is like that. Held loosely, with respect and freedom for the other person, it is likely to remain intact. But hold too tightly, too possessively and the relationship slips away and is lost.Kaleel Jamison
8. Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings. Miles Franklin
9. When a woman is talking to you, listen to what she says with her eyes. Victor Hugo
10. Some think love can be measured by the number of butterflies in their tummy, others think love can be measured in bunches of flower, or by using the word ‘forever. But love can only be truly be measured by actions. It can be a small thing, such as peeling an orange for a person you love because you know they don’t like doing it. Marian Keyes
11. When you are truly in love, you will never have anything to hide. Jay-Z
12. Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship to get something; they are trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place where you go to give, and not a place that you got o take.Anthony Robbins
13. The beginning of love is the will to let those we love to be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them.Thomas Merton
14. We can improve our relationships with others by leaps and bounds if we become encouragers instead of critics. Joyce Meyer
15. The royal road to a man’s heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most. Dale Carnegie
16. Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. Oprah Winfrey
17. You can kiss your family and friends goodbye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world that lives in you. Frederick Buechner
18. Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by friends we choose. Tennessee Williams
19. When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion. Dale Carnegie
20. A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. Donna Roberts
21. Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world. Wayne Dyer
22. Patience is the mark of true love. If you truly love someone, you will be more patient with that person. Thich Nhat Hanh
23. Communication is key in any relationship but understanding is the whole door. You wouldn’t need the key if the door is not there. Timi Dakolo
24. A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. Mignon McLaughlin
25. To say that one waits a lifetime for his soulmate to come around is a paradox. People eventually get sick of waiting, take a chance on someone, and by the art of commitment become soulmates, which takes a lifetime to perfect. Criss Jami
26. Nothing is perfect. Life is messy. Relationships are complex. Outcomes are uncertain. People are irrational. Hugh Mackay
27. Love is a two-way street constantly under construction. Carroll Bryant
28. Spend a few minutes a day really listening to your spouse. No matter how stupid his problems sound to you. Megan Mullaly
29. We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into the mutually satisfying weirdness and call it love-true love. Robert Fulghum
30 Communication is the proof of life in any relationship. In spicing up your relationship, you need to prioritize communication and giving attention. Godman Akinlabi
31. The biggest difference trust makes in any relationship and not just an intimate one is that you can relax, be open, be yourself. Mira Kirshenbaum
32. Forgiveness is essential for every kind of relationship. Barbara J. Hunt
33. When you are focused on your partner’s good qualities and show them the same kindness, warmth, respect and generosity of spirit that you would your best friend, your relationship has the greatest chance of not just surviving but thriving into its later years.Sophie Winters
34. Working through conflict, we maintain and build a strong but flexible, honest but loving connection in our relationship. Aaron F. Steinberg
35. You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. Sam Keen
36. Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle; love is a war; love is a growing up. James Baldwin
37. I believe that two people are connected at the heart, and it doesn’t matter what you do, or who you are or where you live; there are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together. Julia Roberts
38. Never above you. Never below you. Always beside you. Walter Winchell
39. In a relationship, each person should support the other; they should lift each other up. Taylor Swift
40. Learn to be quiet, enough to hear the genuine in yourself. So that you can hear it in others. Marian Wright Edelman
41. Love is an endless act of forgiveness. Forgiveness is me giving up the right to hurt you for hurting me. Beyonce
42. Well, it seems to me that the best relationships-the ones that last are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with. Gillian Anderson
43. The ultimate test of a relationship is to disagree but to hold hands. Alexander Penny
44. Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude. William James
45. He’s not perfect. You aren’t either and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold unto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had, because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you. Bob Marley
This last quote is by far my favourite quote and I made it come last on the list because you might scroll to the end and I want you to get a quote that says it all. A relationship quotes to motivate your relationship, by helping you find perfect in imperfect.
There are a lot of relationship quotes to motivate your relationships, quotes to help you stay strong when it all seems like it will crumble. In fact, that tete-a-tete you just had with your little sister or brother surprisingly can serve as a relationship quotes to motivate you.