Tuwon Shinkafa is a northern Nigerian recipe that is prepared with the soft rice variety. You could also use the other varieties of rice to prepare it, but they won’t give you the best experience. Personally, this is my favourite of all the classes of tuwos that we have. Do you want to know how to prepare Tuwon Shinkafa? Stay with me.
This type of delicacy is consumed by almost every tribe in the north and so, it is not specifically related to the Hausa people. More so, it is very delicious as it goes with almost every Nigerian soup that you know.
Now that you know what Tuwon Shinkafa is, let’s go straight into how this Northern Nigerian cuisine is been prepared. Kindly allow me to be your guide. Not to worry, it isn’t difficult to prepare.
Ingredients for preparing Tuwon Shinkafa
You will need the following ingredients to make Tuwon Shinkafa, depending on the quantity you intend to make:
3 cups of short-grain rice or local rice
2 litres of water (more or less)
Procedure for the Preparation of Tuwon Shinkafa
- Get a clean pot and put it on fire.
- Add the desired quantity of water to it and allow it to boil. You could add a little more than the quantity you need just in case the need arises. Keep the excess water separately in a bowl before the next step.
- Wash the short grain of rice and pour it inside the boiling water. Boil until it becomes very soft and sticky (if the rice isn’t done before the water dries up, you can add a little hot water to it, NOT cold water)
- Use a wooding spoon to mash the soft rice thoroughly to form a soft dough.
- Wash your hand and mold the Tuwon Shinkafa into balls and put it inside a warmer.
- Serve hot and enjoy your Tuwon Shinkafa.
How to Serve Tuwon Shinkafa
It is dished normally with Miyan Taushe, Miyan Alayyahu (Spinach Soup), and Egusi soup. Serving it with Egusi soup is my favourite. In addition, you could also serve it with other northern Nigerian soups such as Miyan Kuka, Miyan Wake, Miyan Kubewa (Okro soup), etc.
Occasions to Serve Best
This delicacy is best consumed on special occasions as festivals or eids or any get-together. In addition, it could also be consumed any day, any time – breakfast (as leftover “dumame”), lunch, dinner – just anytime is fine. It is best when served hot.
How to Store Tuwon Shinkafa
This delicacy can be stored for many days provided it is in the refrigerator and constantly powered with electricity. However, inadequate cooling could result to its spoilage.
Nutritional Value of Tuwon Shinkafa
Does Tuwon Shinkafa has rich nutritional value? Yes. Because of the rice, it contains carbohydrates needed to give us the energy to cope with the daily struggles of life.
If you follow the above procedures strictly, getting a perfectly and deliciously made Tuwon Shinkafa will be right in front of you for consumption.
If you find this article helpful, please leave a comment in the comments section below. Thank you.
You are always welcome to northpad for more local northern Nigerian delicacies.