Hello! Our recipe for today is “Kunun Aya drink” also known as tiger nut drink. This drink is gotten from tiger nut hence, the name. The tiger nut comes in two forms – the dry and fresh nuts. Both forms are sweet on their own and both can be used in making this drink but the dry form has to be washed to discard any trace of dirt, stones, and pre-soaked overnight to regain its moisture content.
This drink is not only delicious but creamy as well. In addition, it requires fewer ingredients and yet is quite addicting as it is filled with nutritious ingredients – trust me. There are different Northern drinks like Zobo, ginger drink but Kunun Aya tops the chart. This is definitely worth trying!
Procedures on How to Make Kunun Aya Drink
- Wash tiger nuts of choice thoroughly.
- In a blender, pour in washed tiger nuts. Use a very good functional blender as nuts will be crushed.
- Wash and cut the coconut into pieces.
- Wash dates and take out seeds. If you like, you can soak the dates for at least 30-45 minutes. This also gives extra sweetness to the drink.
- Wash and mince/grate ginger.
- Add in coconuts, dates, and ginger. Ginger gives it a chilly taste.
- Add in warm water depending on the quantity of the nuts.
- Blend mixture till smooth, thick and creamy.
- Get a straining cloth. In this cloth, pour in the mixture to strain out shafts from the nuts and coconuts.
- Squeeze and wring cloth with hands to extract every liquid content from the mixture. Repeat this procedure twice.
- Your drink is ready. Chill drink and serve when cold.
How to Preserve Kunun Aya?
Simply preserve this in a glass or a container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When it exceeds these days, it starts to get spoil and sour. Therefore, discard when it exceeds 3 days.
If you don’t have a blender, you could take this to a grinding machine. It’s even easier if you ask me. I hope you try this nutritious drink – you’ll be glad you did!
Ways to Serve
Kunun Aya drink should be served cold as it is most enjoyable. It gives brain freeze and also relaxes the mind due to the cool effect.
Occasions to Serve Best
This creamy drink can be served in occasions like Eid celebrations. It can also be enjoyed among friends and family after lunch and dinner.
Health Benefits of Kunun Aya Drink
It is worthy of note that the tiger nuts weirdly belong to the “tuber” family like yam and potatoes. Tiger nuts are fortified with:
- Source of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C and E, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and potassium. These together help in overall body health and immune system.
- They are gluten-free.
- They are vegan too.
- Also, the are a whole food and as such, serves as a perfect balanced diet.
- High fiber content.
- You might want to opt into almond drink but these are richer in taste and benefits.
- An aphrodisiac: It is believed that consumption of this drink arouses sexual desire and also increases sexual performance.
Now, that’s a very nutritious drink you should try – believe me! Let’s get you to how this delicious and creamy drink is made.
Kunun Aya drink is for everyone and every age as it is fortified with vitamins which is essential in our everyday lives. Try it at home, or even anywhere else. It’s always a nice treat!
Have you tried making Kunun Aya before? Tell us how you did it or what it taste like?